View Single Post
Old 01-18-2020, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Mahony View Post
Humidity is best reduced with refrigeration. Heating air (furnace) does not significantly reduce humidity through heat. Often repeated misconception.

Running a gas fired heater in cold weather may bring about humidity reduction by introduction of out-side air. This comes about either through outside furnace combustion air or a mixed portion of outside air at the return plenum by design. Or possibly through normal house venting as furnace runs.

Applications requiring tighter control for humidity in the hvac world is achieved by first refrigerating (dehumidify) the air stream and then add any desired re-heat followed by re-humidifying air stream to target level. This is all done in the air ducts. Respectfully, tim
This is true, but sort of only half the story. Once the ambient air has been dried out by cold temperatures and then heated by whatever means, the relative humidity is reduced and it’s low relative humidity that can damage wooden instruments as the moisture content in the wood seeks to equalize with the air.

Right now it’s 9 degrees Fahrenheit outside with a relative humidity of 56%. Inside the house it’s 70 degrees and the RH is a desert-like 22%. That’s low enough to cause serious problems with some instruments left in those condition
for more than a day or two.

My guitars like in a temperature and humidity controlled display cabinet. I’ll leave ones that I’m playing out during the day but they go back in at night and for long term storage.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String