View Single Post
Old 05-10-2020, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
...As for Peavey, I never felt that CA Guitars reclaimed their place in the carbon fiber world after the demise of the original company. When the original company was making guitars, there were few others in the carbon fiber market. In their product line, the Cargo seemed to be the most popular, followed by the Ox, which was about midway between the Cargo and their full size guitars. I don't recall their full size guitars as being nearly as popular. There wasn't anything particularly wrong with their full size guitars, but the Cargo filled a niche that nobody else did nearly as well at the time.

Now, there are several impressive players in the carbon fiber market space, and that divides the market. In a way, it is a bit like the Beatles. When they came along, they were a HUGE hit. If they came along now, with all the access to any kind of music and tons of musicians making it, they would probably not have had nearly the impact. Back then, the record companies had near complete control over what music the public had access to, and whoever got the airplay and associated exposure, was what we knew and listened to.

All of this is not a reflection on the quality of CA Guitars, but instead, market forces. When CA Guitars ceased operation, they lost a lot of momentum in the marketplace. It seemed as if, initially, Peavey would put their marketing behind the newly acquired company, but this seemed to fizzle, while Emerald, Rainsong, and Blackbird stepped up their respective games and took the carbon fiber market, which is really not that large to begin with.

Tony
That analysis and analogy makes a lot of sense to me. One can never under or overestimate the importance of timing in the success of a product...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm