View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, I've been playing for a number of decades and I am a flatpicker but I simply dolt understand what yuo mean by "strumming pattern".
He wants to be told when to strum down the strings and when to strum up and in exactly what order, as if rhythm guitar was learned by memorising specific sequences of down-up strokes specific to each tune you learn, as opposed to allowing your hand to move freely up and down in 16ths (when in 4/4) and connecting with strings intuitively to accent and express the rhythm as you wish (and mentioned in your post).

..yes it's bizarre isn't it? For one thing unless you include the rests within such a strumming sequence and place this alongside the chord changes the pattern could be completely misinterpreted.

Imagine trying to remember all that for each song *and* sing over the top as well...

To the OP - I don't wish to be mean, we all started as beginners and the above is aimed rather at those who promote the idea of learning such patterns. Why not get a few guitar lessons with a good teacher, learn basic strumming rhythm along with chord changes, learn to accent as you please and you will never once have to learn a 'strumming pattern'.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel