View Single Post
Old 03-31-2023, 10:17 AM

I've not played an X7 but own an OF660. The X7 was on my radar, but the more I studied it the more I moved away from the idea. I've read that it was uncomfortable too (actually here on AGF by a couple members/ previous X7 owners).

I nearly pulled the trigger a couple of times on the X7 until digging in and realizing that, ergonomically, it's just not for me. Let me first say that I'm talking about latest iteration, the version 3 (offset sound hole and larger body dimensions that ), not the version 2 that Captain Jim has. The guitar is a very short 24" scale but, more importantly, it is the bridge placement that is a deal breaker for me. That is an odd thing for me to type out, as I typically like 12 fret designs that align the bridge dead center of the lower bout. The X7 is a good example of this.

But the deal breaker is the overall design of the X7 that just won't work for my playing style. I like to play with my picking hand close to the bridge for palm muting and tone, but the X7 would push my arm into a very unnatural position. Either I would need to pull my shoulder up to get my hand where I want it or relax and extend my arm far away from the bridge- neither scenario works for me. I think this is because there is such a short distance from the rear of the X7 bridge and the “tail block” edge of the guitar. The OF660 does not present this issue for me.

Whether or not you find either a good travel solution is up to you, but for air travel the OF660 is first class. In the nearly 5 years I’ve had it, it has been on numerous flights and 2 cruises. It breaks down and laughs at temperature and humidity, the former only Journey can claim- the latter of which is why carbon fiber in the first place. In no way am I disparaging the X7, I actually think they are slick looking guitars that sound great in video. Just my take.

By the way, how ergonomic can the X7 be? Does the guy in this video look comfortable to you? The player on the right with the X7?