View Single Post
Old 03-31-2023, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vick View Post
Hey everyone!
I found this wonderful thread by searching the internet, so apologies if my questions will be outdated or out of place. Please feel free to direct me to a more appropriate thread.
I am trying to purchase a carbon fiber travel guitar and all my Youtubing and searching came to these two choices: Emerald X7 vs Journey FF660M.
I have seen some references here to X7 being less comfortable to play even though it is a more premium guitar -- design, price, etc.
Is the playing discomfort a problem for such travel guitars or Journey team did a better job at this?
Also, if anyone here traveled with both, which of the two would you recommend for someone looking for a true travel guitar?
I understand that the Journey models can be collapsed, while X7 cannot. Does this make a real difference when traveling?

Sorry for so many questions, but I hope some kind soul out here can help me to make the right decision since I am not able to try these guitars in the area where I live -- Northern California.

Thank you!
Vic
Hi Vic - Welcome to the group. I have owned an X7 for years, have had the opportunity to play several Journeys. Not sure where you read that the X7 isn't as comfortable, but I think that is misinformation: the X7 I have (previous gen) is easily the most comfortable acoustic guitar I have ever played, in 58 years of playing. The ergonomics of the Emerald guitars are outstanding - curves and bevels that make the guitar feel smaller than it is.

For full disclosure, I have not played the FF660, but I have played the OF660 and the RT660. I found the X7 more comfortable, more volume, better tone (to my ears), and better finish. Not to say that the Journeys aren't decent guitars; I just find the X7 to be a step above.

Journeys are sold through some dealers, on Amazon, or direct from them. Emeralds are only sold direct.

The FF660 has the removable neck, the X7 does not. The Journey will pack smaller, but either guitar should travel well. Both come with the travel pack (Journey) or gig bag (Emerald). I choose to not fly commercial these days - the X7 travels with us in our motorhome (and previously on our boat). The FF660 Journey has a 25.5" scale (their smaller models are 24.5"), the Emerald X7 has a 24" scale.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 03-31-2023 at 08:43 AM.