View Single Post
Old 05-06-2020, 12:47 PM

Right then,

Apologies for the delay in posting, bizarrely I don't remember a busier time! That's especially true of this past week where The Holy Grail Guitar Show went online as a 48 hour social media extravaganza. Not quite what we planned but certainly a valiant attempt in the face of extreme adversity!

I prepared this short film as part of the cyber show which will bring you nicely up to speed

Now, we need to talk abut F-holes. Not an area of expertise for me to be honest so it's been fascinating to continue my discovery learning experience through Thierry's expertise.

The last archtop guitar to leave the André Instruments bench was this Old School Archtop which many of you will be quick to notice has a hole exactly where we've been taught to expect one.

That's all well and good but Thierry wanted to explore the idea of F-Holes acting more like soundports. I don't doubt it must have been tempting to get involved with some shoulder-mounted action like you'd see on one of Ken Parker's sublime instruments, but Thierry was adamant that a more traditional approach to placement was the way forward.

Having arrived at a design that did exactly what he was looking for Thierry bound the soundholes with rosewood.

And added an aesthetic flourish of aluminium

With the finished results as seen here

I'd like to say a quick thank you for all the PM's and emails i've had about this collaboration so far. It's been really great to hear from everybody. I hope you're all staying safe and well and I'll be back as soon as I have more to share.

Stay Tuned

Michael
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.