View Single Post
Old 08-29-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
After owning the 517 for a few weeks, I have a new assessment I'd like to share.

This is a very mid-range emphasized guitar, and it is probably the most responsive guitar I've ever played. It's light as a feather, and is noticeably lighter than the 717. It sounds light too, which is interesting because the entire body resonates and there is a strong violent vibration on the back of the guitar when you hit low notes.

Sound wise, it sounds old. It has an airy, almost all wood sound. I don't hear the string, I just hear fat wood tones. Love that about this guitar. The bass has definitely filled in, but this guitar isn't going to win any awards for low end, but I'm ok with that. It has the folksy vibe of a J-45, but the strength of a D-18. Between them all, I'd take this particular 517 every time. The kicker is that I think there is something special about this particular 517. I've played several 517s, and even owned one before this one and none of them knocked me off of my feet like this one.

Having said all of that, and given that I love my Grand Pacifics to death, I am a little curious as to what I would think about a Martin after playing just these two Taylors for a couple months now. I wonder if I'd be blown away by the low end, or perhaps I'd be disappointed? Who knows, but all I can say is that I've found my two guitars...
I owned nothing but Taylors for a long time. Dreads, GA and GS models. Multiples of all 3 body styles with different top/back and sides combos. I played multiple GP models at NAMM and while I liked them a lot and they don't sound like any other Taylor model I've played, NO Taylor I've ever played is in the same league as my D-41. This guitar blows my mind every time I play it. If you're happy with your GP models, don't worry about trying different brands. I went down that road and the only Taylor I have left is my GS Mini Koa. Keep those GPs and play the strings off of them.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2