Thread: Violin anyone?
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2018, 12:12 PM

Default Good advice Rudy!

Agree with Rudy...be prepared to let your other instruments sit as you fuss with all the intricacies of the violin. The internet/youtube can really be helpful, but I think/agree that it can also be a total time sucker, and very frustrating. This is a definite case where you might especially notice that being older doesn't help.
In my city we have the Wild Rose Fiddlers, and they have beginner group lessons every Monday evening which are really helpful, and a lot of older and senior people go that are just trying to start out.
I've been at it for almost a year, and am still not comfortable playing for others, but I know I'm getting better, only because I've been putting in the hours, practicing scales, practicing/perfecting bow hold, (Rudy is right...you need a good bow...recommend carbon fibre!!!) and using descent strings. My favorite set is Daddario Pro Arte. Not really an inexpensive venture!
It started for me because I had my family heirloom violin (100 years old) looking at me from the closet for 40 years.
I love the old Irish and Appalachian tunes, and I can do several descently.
You will likely learn the key of D first, as that is definitely the most popular for old time music. My favorite tune in that key is Garry Owen, which begins in a descending D scale (first 8 notes!).
And here's one for you...be prepared to do PHYSICAL WARMUPS each time, otherwise your shoulders and neck muscles will rebel!
BTW I made a mistake in yesterday's post. My silent violin is actually a Yamaha SV100. Bon Chance...
Ciao for now!