Thread: P90s v HBs
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
You like what you like. Personally, I have HB guitars that I love the sound of, and P90 guitars that I love the sound of. And of course Fender single coils, too. So I guess I think that there are good tones to be had everywhere you look, and finding 'em is it's own reward.
True. My issue was that I didn't seem to have any HBs I loved the sound of, so, though we've gotten a bit afield, my original question was whether my problem was due to the lowish quality of my particular in-house HBs (potentially cured by $$ spent on bigger names), or if anyone held the opinion that the HB's relative lack of clarity was endemic to HBs generally, regardless of $$ spent. Maybe I just wasn't a HB guy as an aspiring player, despite growing up digging that usually distorted sound as a listener.

One or more responders pointed me to a couple of names I can explore, while other sources suggested lower pickup output was key, then letting the amp do the work of accentuating the positive. I've learned a lot, and in the process have done more work to get a better sound from my current setup, which has improved quite a bit just by tweaking the vol/tone controls (and that Blackstar American/British knob) on the amp and guitar. Much better, and the other suggestions are on my "someday to try" list.