View Single Post
Old 10-05-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
I've been through a bunch of Tele's over the years and you don't need to pay much to get a good one. They were designed to be relatively inexpensive straight ahead guitars for working musicians. The CV's are fantastic values IMO. The only negative if there is one is that the necks are somewhat slim compared to some of the Fender offerings. I agree that the Classic series are great bang for the buck with very nice neck profiles and vintage appointments. Whether it is made in the USA, Mexico, Japan or China makes no difference for me. A tele is a tele is a tele. I own 3 right now and non of them cost more than $350 used. I've owned Esquires, MIM Classics, USA Std and Squier CV's. My favorite is a beat up old MIM that I have maybe $250 max into with tuners, pickups and bridge swapped out. It's as good as any I've played or owned. Yes, I'd love a Nocaster, but I doubt it would sound any better than my $250 old dog. My buddy just bought a Squier CV Custom used for $150, put some Fender CS pickups and a new wiring harness and it sounds like a million bucks, although the stock pickups (Tonerider) are fabulous any way. He's got $300 into it.

P.S a nice Fender amp is the key to getting the most out of a Tele. A Fender guitar into a Fender is amp is it for me. Get yourself a PR or DR and a decent Tele and that's all you'll ever need.
I’ve been reading all your posts with interest especially considering your experience with Fender equipment (excellent). I kind of just stumbled into the Fender ‘sound’ with nice & clear single coil pickups and a Fender tube amp. Can’t beat it.

Last edited by Jaden; 10-06-2018 at 08:15 PM.