View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
That should be a really really nice class-A amp. The guy that designed that is Mark Sampson, who, along with Rick Perotta started Matchless Amplifiers. I think this is the one he started making after splitting from Matchless, but if the build quality is anything like Matchless (and I've heard that it is), that thing really is a mil-spec, hand-wired tank of an amp with a really nice class-A chime to it.
Some info...

Mark Sampson didn't design this amp. They are offshore produced (China) and designed by James Brown of Peavey 5150 fame for the Hanser Music Group. James Brown is an engineer for Kustom who are part of the Hanser group. The Cougar is not handwired. It's a PC Board amp. Some people say these aren't really BadCat amps, but according to John Thompson (owner of BadCat), he had final approval on the design of the amp amp. BadCat wanted to have an amp that would compete with all the other offshore built amps. They are no means in the same leaque as a US made Badcat, but for the price, many people feel they are really good amps. There are many good reviews of the amp on the TGP and TDP forums. Altough in the first few runs of the amp there was a bad hum problem, but I think they have modified the circuit to fix that in later runs!