View Single Post
Old 06-20-2019, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
Sure he has made millions, he can fill stadiums and use a looper, but really the statement "he's not much of a guitar player" is perfectly valid.
It would be interesting to hear the playing of those who think Ed is "not much of a guitar player", so that a proper perspective might be able to be gained from such critiques.

Try looping, playing, and singing the way he does and see how difficult it is to do well. I am a guitar player, and I ran out a bought a Boss RC-300 looper because I was inspired by Ed's live performances. That was last year. Even though I've performed live since then, I still haven't gained the confidence in my looping skills to actually use it live. I've been performing live on guitar since 1984.

Ed isn't Paco de Lucia, Tony Rice, or Pierre Bensusan. But that hardly means he's "not much of a guitar player". And in regards to solo live performances that can entertain crowds of thousands for hours, there aren't that many guitar players who can hang with him. Must one be an instrumental virtuoso so be considered much of a guitar player? I can understand if people are somehow put-off by Ed's pop sensibilities and popularity, but the guy is very talented, period. And I don't understand the lack of respect for that.