View Single Post
Old 12-03-2017, 09:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default A build for Paul Nichols...maple Round Peak

This guitar shape is named for a mountain and a style of music developed by a community of folk who live reclusively on that mountain in western North Carolina, not too far from my shop. If you mention Round Peak banjo or guitar to musicians around here most of them know you are talking about a style of playing. Anyway, I picked the name just to give some local flavor to guitar shape that i make that has rounded shoulders and this long explanation is because outside of these hills few know that the name actually has musical relevance.

So, Paul wants another one. This time in maple. He suggested that we use all USA woods, so the binding will be Claro walnut, sycamore and dyed poplar purfling lines, a western red cedar top, and a Texas ebony bridge and fingerboard.

The sides are in a terribly ugly stage so I don't have any pictures of them but will as soon as they get cleaned up. Right now I'm gluing in lining which is quite extensive on the players side because Paul is fond of big bevels top and bottom.
Here is a look at the back with a walnut center strip.