View Single Post
Old 04-26-2016, 07:55 AM

As an ex-guitar teacher, I used to always recommend that if a person wanted to really learn how to play the guitar, as opposed to playing songs by strumming a few chords and singing (a totally worthy desire, but different from actually learning the techniques of playing the instrument) then they should start with a classical guitar and learn classical technique. You learn the notes, what time and rhythm is, how to use your hands and fingers efficiently, how to use the right hand, how to read music, and how to play several notes at once to create a melody with harmony. Nothing in this is going to limit in any way the eventual path for that student, and frankly very few go on to pursue classical guitar as their path. But the steps to learn the classical technique of approaching the instrument physically give you that stepping stone to anything else you care to try, and knowing the names of the strings, the names of the notes, the difference between 3/4, 4/4 and 6/8 time and how to read those never hurt anyone.

Now, if someone came to me (as one recently did) and said I want to learn (in her case ukulele) so I can strum as I sing, I teach a few chords, how to tune up, and tell them to have fun and they know where I am if they want to go farther. In all cases I say that I can teach you how to play the instrument, but after a certain point you need to learn how to play music. I can't teach that.