View Single Post
Old 01-18-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Thanks for the experiment report.

With respect to "mixing and matching" the HFN with other preamps, I can report this about my own "mix and match" with the VTC Matrix Infinity preamp. I have to EQ a ton of bass out of my VTC Matrix Infinity preamp/OTSS UST matchup, when the preamp is at its most trebly setting. (Using my Zoom A3's extensive EQ capability, I'm cutting 4db at 40Hz, 8db at 80Hz and 5db at 160Hz.) I suspect that pairing the HFN with the Matrix Infinity preamp would give you an even bassier result than what you're getting with the Element preamp, That's certainly the case with the two "mix and match" pairings with my two OTSS USTs.

Running the Matrix Infinity/OTSS UST into ToneDexter, when TD is on bypass I need a 7.5db bass cut to get me close to an even tone. When I ran a passive OTSS UST into ToneDexter on bypass, the result was actually on the side of sounding too trebly. I presume that's because TD's 1Mohm input impedance isn't quite enough to get a full tone from the OTSS UST.
Yeah it seems Fishman preamps typically have a hotter output than others. I wonder if that has anything to do with it or maybe different impedance from the baggs preamps.