View Single Post
Old 12-10-2007, 10:41 AM

Hey, Elliot,

You got me wondering about the intonation of my CA. I generally don't even think about it unless I'm playing a guitar that is bad enough for me to hear the problem. I had it with a few instruments in the past, but never even thought about intonation since I got the Legacy.

Anyway, I just took my Korg AW-1 off of my dobro and put it on the Legacy. I did this because I don't think the built-in tuner in the Fishman setup is no better than my poor ears. The Korg's needle is much more sensitive than are the LEDs on the Fishman. So, after making sure all strings were dead on I worked my way up the board on each string, stopping at frets three, five, seven and twelve. Except for the b string, there was no discernable deflection of the needle on any fret. The b went a few cents high at fret twelve. Even that deflection was not steady, so it may be just a worn string or something. Who knows.

Summary? I can't hear any intonation issues at all with my CA. I play a lot up the neck and never get any atonal chords, etc.

I know I sound like a CA bigot, but I really have no attachment to CA or any other manufacturer. I only care about tone, playability and durability, with the latter being an order of magnitude below playability on the scale of importance. I only love CA guitars because I have the tone I've always wanted in a guitar that plays like my favorite wooden one and, just by the way, will take a licking, including the rather severe Vermont weather swings.

Gotta love it!

Stoney