View Single Post
Old 09-03-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
That's a fair point. What I meant by using caution is to check it as you go along, as compared to leaving it on for ten days or so, then regularly repeating the process, which is what I believe ToneRite recommends. And using it on a regular basis to "wake up" the guitar. Which I never do and never did, even when I owned my own ToneRite.

For the sake of brevity in my post, (which is unusual for me, I'll admit,) I didn't fully describe how often I picked up that guitar, took off the ToneRite, and played it while it was undergoing that treatment. I checked the guitar and played it at least two or three times a day during that ten day period.

The ToneRite brought the guitar along to where I wanted it by the tenth day, which is when I removed the ToneRite and returned it to the gentleman who'd loaned it to me.

So a large part of the caution I suggest using is by regularly checking and playing the guitar while it's being ToneRited. It's not as though I put the ToneRite on my new little Martin, turned it on, then left the state to go on a two week vacation. ToneRite does encourage people to check on their instruments as they're undergoing the process, but also advocates regular repeat use. Personally, I'm less sanguine about that repeated use than they are.

Hope that makes more sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
What exactly are you supposed to be checking? I'm at about 50 (hoping to get to 144) hours into my homemade tonerite experiment. From what I remember of the actual tonerite I once saw, mine is about the same as a low setting.

I'm using it on my new Martin Onvangkol topped guitar that I'm hoping to get a bit more projection out of. Once I'm done I don't plan on any follow up.

I did a lot of research and until this post, never heard of it harming a guitar. The most common results were no change, some improvement or a lot of improvement.