View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
-- Is the issue that you cannot hear your lead playing on stage or is it also that you are being told it is getting lost in the house?
Primarily the issue is that i cannot seem to hear myself.

Quote:
-- What settings do you use on your overdrive? The answer to your problem might be counter intuitive. Back off the gain and boost the volume. Gain often compressors the tone into nothingness. Sounds great by itself, but disappears in a band.
Yes.....my tone "disappears." I use a Fulltone OCD as my primary "dirt pedal" these days (but I have owned and tried several different ones to try and deal with this), along with a Wampler Tumnus as a boost for some solos.

Quote:
-- Are able to cut through the band when you play a loud clean tone? If so, that reinforces my point above, I think. ie, Try with no pedals at all, and just keep cranking amp master volume (not gain.)
While playing clean doesn't not completely solve the issue, it DOES make the issue much better. When doing clean-playing rhythm guitar parts, I have the LEAST amount of trouble, and can hear myself best. The clean guitar, however, just doesn't work well for a Santana / Journey / G-n-R guitar solo.

Quote:
-- A Rat pedal or something with a decent mid hump might be the ticket. Again, less is more on the gain, but more is more on the volume!
Gosh, I have owned quite a few overdrive / dirt pedals.....they manly seem pretty similar to me. I have never tried a "Rat," however. I DO set the mids high on my EQ to try to be heard over the mix.

Quote:
-- You might also benefit from a 7 band Eq that you engage when it is solo time. More mids and highs might help.
I have an Empress Para-EQ pedal right now......I admit it seems pretty complicated.....still figuring it out.

Quote:
-- Do you play humbuckers or single coil pickups?
Almost entirely humbuckers. PRS style guitar.

Quote:
-- Do you use a compressor? What other effects?
No compressor. When I tried to use a compressor, it made the problem worse in my opinion. Very few other effects on only a couple of other songs. Mostly, I simply want: clean rhythm, clean-ish lead; dirty rhythm, dirty/gain-y lead.......but I need to hear myself better.