View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Might need some more info to be truly helpful, but I'll take a stab:

-- Is the issue that you cannot hear your lead playing on stage or is it also that you are being told it is getting lost in the house?

Let's assume the second for now

-- What settings do you use on your overdrive? The answer to your problem might be counter intuitive. Back off the gain and boost the volume. Gain often compressors the tone into nothingness. Sounds great by itself, but disappears in a band.

-- Are able to cut through the band when you play a loud clean tone? If so, that reinforces my point above, I think. ie, Try with no pedals at all, and just keep cranking amp master volume (not gain.)

-- A Rat pedal or something with a decent mid hump might be the ticket. Again, less is more on the gain, but more is more on the volume!

-- You might also benefit from a 7 band Eq that you engage when it is solo time. More mids and highs might help.

-- Do you play humbuckers or single coil pickups?

-- Do you use a compressor? What other effects?

And it simply could be that your band is loud and so your sound check sounds loud but isn't loud enough when all the loud instruments play. You may simply need to add decibels and get all Spinal Tap on them.

Anyway, more specifics would help. You should absolutely be able to get a cutting tone from a tube amp with the right gear.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....