View Single Post
Old 10-13-2020, 02:20 PM

No Facebook. No Twitter. No Instagram. No other similar programs, ever.

However...
Signed up for LinkedIn in its infancy (to understand the format) but never even completed my profile or landing page. Drove the dweebs at LinkedIn crazy and they never stopped emailing me. Irritating, that.
Got convinced by a friend to "try out" Pinterest, because she found it interesting. Still on their email barrage list and occasionally visit a page, but have never been an active participant.
Also, for well over a decade, I was an active participant/contributor to several prominent classical music forums. When I decided to return to playing music, not just listening to it, I took up guitar again (c.2009) and discovered AGF (2011). While I don't post incessantly here as I did on the classical music sites, this has become my go-to when I feel like "sharing" on a semi-public level.

I was in the ad business for half a century, and was proud that I managed to maintain my personal ethics throughout, in spite of (1) monetary temptations and (2) the bad rep that the ad biz generally has often shouldered. I wrote (but no, did not program) entire websites from the earliest days of the internet. But social media never pulled at me...even though I have many friends on Facebook and elsewhere. And FWIW, in the past several years, as I learned the rather scary ramifications of geotargeting, pinpoint marketing, and all the insidious possibilities inherent in digital media, the happier I was to be aging out of the business. Frankly, I do not like what I see happening. I think I'll like being retired...a new journey that started in June.

Cheers,

Dirk