View Single Post
Old 01-23-2021, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
You are talking about the "Smokey". I bet you those guitars do sound better without the terrible DR Black Beauty strings- LOL. I know they were going for a "look" but, come on man!
That Be It, Young Fella! That Be it!

Quote:
So your initial guitar was also sporting an N1 neck, that's interesting. Having never owned a RainSong with the original N1 neck, I can't qualify RainSong's claim about the N2/NS necks enhancing the tone of their newer offerings (never heard them side-by-side). That would be a good comparison for someone to post if they have both styles.
Most of my RainSongs had the N1 neck. Frankly, the N1 and N2 necks were both kind of cumbersome for me. The weirdest RainSong neck I ever played was on my first RainSong, their Korean-made "Advanced Series" WS1000 (I kept it a week before returning it). It was very shallow front-to-back and wasn't good for enough thumb-fretting leverage.

Quote:
I did have a Shorty and actually loved the tone once I found strings that really suited it well. However the NS neck was lukewarm for me; loved the scale but the profile not so much.
IMHO, RainSong needs to look at the Gibson, Taylor, and Martin necks and make some small non-patent-infrinegment tweaks and call it the Snoqualmie neck or some other cutsie-poo regional reference.

Quote:
Maybe you are just getting spoiled by the tone of the X20?
My Emerald X20 sounds great but like all the carbon-guitar brands I've played, whether it be a RainSong, an Emerald, or a Composite Acoustics, they need to get their neck-thing on! I've not played a McPherson Sable or a Blackbird or a Journey, Kloss or other carbon guitars. I do, however, like the neck on my Adamas 2087GT-8 combo graphite/wood construction guitar.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20