View Single Post
Old 05-14-2016, 03:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
Me, too. I remember one moment very well.

It was years ago when I heard a "clunk - clunk" in the corner of the shop where nobody was working. The only noise just moments before that jolt was the swoosh of the buffing wheel. Suddenly, the wheel stopped. I glanced back in that area as any wife would do to be sure Tim was in the upright position and ok. I was clueless why the guitar wasn't in his hands. I stood and cautiously looked further around the corner. Having never experienced this first hand I couldn't figure out why, after all that diligent work, did the guitar get set in an area where it could get scratched.

My brain clicked in to quietly observe. I knew to keep my mouth shut and give a few minutes of silence. It all made more sense when I saw a grown man get tight lipped, squint his eyes, put his hands in the air, duck his head, shake it in a, "OHHHH, NOOO!!! Did that really just happen?" fashion, take a seriously breath a deeeeeeep breath and walk to the wood room where he closed the door behind him.

Fortunately, if I remember right, it was with his own experimental spec guitar so he didn't owe an explanation to anyone but himself. It made him highly aware that buffing wheel has no qualms of reaching out to show a luthier who is stronger.

I share this experience to all who has never handled a buffing wheel. Be highly aware that hindsight offers 20/20 vision. Learn from our mistakes!
If you build enough guitars it's bound to happen

Great story about Jimmy D'Aquisto.....
When he was working for John D'Angelico a customer came in to buy a guitar. Aside from selling the handmade D"Angelico guitars, they also sold factory made Favilla brand guitars. As he was selling the guitar to the customer D'angelico noticed a small scratch on it and asked D'Aquisto to polish it out on the buffer. He told Jimmy to take off the strap before he buffed it and Jimmy didn't. The buffer grabbed the guitar and smashed it to pieces. Johh cursed out Jimmy and handed the customer another guitar off the rack. He told Jimmy he would take it out of his pay (but never did) . Lesson learned