View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
My thoughts are loading PT11 and plug-ins on the smaller partition I created (100GB), and the session and audio files on the larger partition (400GB), so all PT activities are on the faster solid state drive. I can archive back to the 1TB slower drive down the road if necessary. I will certainly check the disc cache feature, thanks.
Not overkill to be sure. Mis-directed might be a better phrase. Kev is right. Pro Tools, as an application, doesn't gain much (actually anything) by a faster or solid state drive. I not even certain Avid has approved solid state drives? Likewise the plug-ins (at least the old RTAS and newer AXX) use processor speed and ram. Neither (the application and plug-in's) care particularly about drive speeds as long as your at the old 7200 rpm standard. Truth be told you could probably get by with 5400 rpm. The gains in performance at the application level all come from processor capabilities and ram, not drive speed.

Conversely of course and in the old, old ,old days drive speeds were exceedingly critical for effectively streaming audio. In fact separate SCCI accelerator cards were mandatory for the earlier PT systems drives. The way audio was both "spun out" onto the hardrive and retrieved from the hardrive made things much less efficient. That's indeed where most of the web based wives tales arose.

Pro Tools will run fine on a single drive (which is what you're proposing albeit partitioned). As I said earlier it does make some sense to run the audio from a separate drive. It makes file management slightly easier and certainly segregates potential virus and corruption problems. It does become almost essential if in fact you plan to stream video from Pro Tools!