View Single Post
Old 02-02-2022, 05:43 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
You can learn anytime, though you'll probably get more out of it if you know the fretboard already.

I always found electric FAR easier, as acoustics seem to emphasize the inharmonic tones far too much for me.

I never 'got' the 'damping behind the slide' thing myself. i damp with my right hand fingers.
On an acoustic, Gordon, you'll get way less fundamental tones by NOT damping behind the slide. Those inharmonic tones are way apt to escape on an electric.

Right hand damping, or spidering as I've always called it, can only do so much in controlling the inharmonic ringing, often caused simply by the slide-to-string movement, give or take depending on the slide material/string type.

Not having enough slide mass to control the heavier strings frequently used on an acoustic is another big reason to contributing inharmonic tones.

This is an old archtop played in open D with a heavy slide. It's pretty rich in fundamental tones that are about as thick as the fretted notes.

Same guitar, recorded on my phone. A lot of spidering and damping behind the bottleneck:

Regards,
Howard Emerson