View Single Post
Old 01-26-2022, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Mike being new to RAID I'm not quite understanding when you say "corresponds to the smallest disk " do you is limited to the smallest disk size ?

I thought the reason for RAID was to have Aggregate of all the drives ?

And no, not performance and not data corruption, the reason is for file storage , specifically Final Cut Pro X video files. My iMac works fine performance wise for my audio recording mixing and video recording and editing ...
But even though it is 2 TB iMac it was close to running out of storage, before I purged the FCPX folder. And most of my recordings are now for music audio/video productions
Some controllers might allow you to mix disk sizes, but for RAID configurations, you're going to "throw away" anything over the smallest disk capacity. The main options are mirroring (2 disks), so everything on the first disk is exactly copied to the 2nd, so what would you do with the extra storage? And the other options are "striping" where you divide the bytes of data evenly across the array. When the smallest disk is full, you can't "stripe" anything else.

Combining disks of different sizes is not RAID, but often called JBOD (just a bunch of disks) or some other name. Your controller may support that, but you won't get the option of redundancy or speed with that choice.