View Single Post
Old 01-24-2022, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschroeder View Post
I agree with your comment. I definitely didn't make my decision solely on this video. But it did help to hear the differences in the units with no EQ adjustments. I noticed other things in some of the samples that you wouldn't be able to EQ (especially in the Baggs pedal). The Baggs Voiceprint clips I've listened to sound very "digital" to me with weird artifacts in the sound.

I was deciding between the Tonedexter and the Optima Air. My reason for going with the Optima Air is the ability to load 3rd party IR's through the computer app. So if I'm not successful recording my own I could load other IR's not already on the unit.
Hi ASchroeder…
Thanks for the thoughtful and thought-provoking dialogue…

I suspect serious players will weigh and consider options and not base their decisions on a single sample, experiment or review. The hard part in choosing is the lack of real-world examples of these units to try-out, hear or experiment with before purchasing.

This is cutting edge new tech, and more units are showing up all the time.

I already had been using a great working system in all my guitars for 15 years (K&K dual source with Raven PMB, DTAR Solstice, & Headway two channel external preamps).

My addition of the ToneDexter to my gear was based on a dream at age 71 to see if I could get performance level, room filling acoustic guitar volume with studio quality sound in live situations. And I've accomplished that, and in fact it has exceeded my hopes.

The ToneDexter V2 software update finally put it over the top. When the unit was new, I had to fiddle around to get the sound I wanted, and was using a sound hole plug to limit feedback.

The addition of the new Notch controller (variable adjustment which allows one to knock down the resonant peak frequencies), and full mic recording on all post-Version 2 WaveMaps (which are more natural than before) made huge improvements for me. And I was already happy.

I have not been using the Feedback Buster any more (it's still in the pick drawer if I need it).

My last three outings were in challenging settings:
  • Funeral in a large, high raftered church with stone-block-walls and full wooden ceiling…with an average room volume of about 85db & I stood right under the mains (flown) and right beside the sub. And I'm sure I pushed the volumes to over 90db at times.
  • Leading worship in our home church with about a 95db room level of which about 80db leaks back onto the stage.
  • A Christmas vocal/guitar solo special in a church with a 45X100 foot sanctuary (untreated sheet-rock walls) with 22 foot peaks, with 15" two way cabinets flown from corners at celing level in front of the stage, and subs on the floor nearly underneath them (I sat 10 feet in front of the sub and right in the flight path of the two way on my side of the room) at about 90db.

Not even a hint of feedback, and such a good sound in all three situations. It sounded like my Olson with me singing along.

I drive the ToneDexter with my K&K Pure mini, but have left all the K&K mics in my 5 acoustics which have the dual source systems as a backup should something fail me in the ToneDexter realm.

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…