View Single Post
Old 01-08-2022, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushwood View Post
Hi,
Is it possible to need a neck reset on an acoustic guitar when the heel isn’t pulling up from the body and the top looks good without any visible caving/folding in? I put a straight edge along the fretboard and it butts up about 1/8th inches below the top of the bridge. The saddle has been lowered quite a bit it seems to compensate for this. Anything else to look for because of this concern? This is a used guitar with a bolt on neck I was considering to buy. It’s a 2004 Seagull Artist Cameo.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Those necks may be bolted-on, but I'm afraid it does not mean that resets are more easily done. Some of those Godins have necks that are very hard to take apart. As their main tech once told me : "they shouldn’t need a reset (sic) and they are not constructed in a way that allows them to be taken apart". Oh well... maybe they'd never need a reset, provided they were entirely made of steel. ;-) I'm afraid this means those guitars are meant to be left in the garbage can when the wood begins to move around a bit too much.

Expect lots of epoxy and interlocking wood parts precluding removal unless you saw right through all this wood. Not an easy job, and certainly more expensive than the guitar's value. This makes those unplayable and pretty much (economically) unfixable after a number of years.

SOME Godins CAN be taken apart for a reset, though. You might still have to fight liberal use of epoxy pretty much anywhere, but it can be done. Send the serial number to Godin's tech support, they’ll tell you. I most certainly wouldn’t buy a Godin in need of a reset without checking this first.