View Single Post
Old 12-31-2021, 02:14 AM

Hi all, a quick update from me on how I'm progressing. I'm about 40% complete on the Tommy Emmanuel 'Milestones' module which has (so far) focused on learning the boom chick method of playing. I had previously given this a go for about an hour so I wasn't a compete beginner in that respect. I'm enjoying it so far, although it's really hard to coordinate everything that you need to do correctly ie accuracy on the fret board, vs correct use of the PIMA system in the fingers, vs the alternating bass strings etc..

I've just started trying out the 'anticipated' melody section where Tommy is showing us how to play the melody with a bit of heart and character instead of dropping it in on the beat. It's like learning a whole new skill, but enjoyable none the less.

Aside of that I've been playing two easier pieces by Dan Holloway as I wanted something else to play if the truefire course became too difficult. I'm playing Amazing Grace and Annie's Song. Both are fairly straightforward, but both make good use of the PIMA system so I'm happy as it's really improving my technique. The bit I'm trying to focus on is the steady smooth progression so that I can play both pieces all the way through, at the right speed and tempo, without mistakes. It's much harder than I anticipated and I think this is because I've often learned to play music and simply accepted that I'm OK with the easier bits, but slower with the hard bits.

It's a hard habit to try and train myself out of because I've got quite a few bad habits, but I'm currently determined to be much more disciplined after reading that my playing will become much better if I can train my fingers correctly alongside the speed and accuracy on the fret board.