View Single Post
Old 12-25-2021, 08:27 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I've done it when playing recording sessions. The guitars have a really unique, clean sound when run that way. I've done it with a Les Paul and a Carvin Tele. Both worked really well. As you would expect, the Les Paul had a rounder, fuller, jazzier tone and the Tele was brighter. You typically run the guitar though a direct box, an active one, and then into the console or interface. For years we used the Countryman Type 85 box, which is still excellent, but of late we've been using the more modern Radial active boxes instead. Of course, many of the current interfaces can accept instrument signals but you may find them a little weak.

There are many examples of pros doing it through the years. The solo from "Another Brick in the Wall Pt.2" was originally played that way, a '54 Les Paul with P-90 pickups plugged directly with a compressor. David Gilmour decided it was too clean so he re-amped it and mixed the clean with a slightly dirtied-up version.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)