Thread: Your first gig
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blvdnap View Post
When did you know you were ready to play and sing on stage? How did you approach the bar/coffeehouse owner? How long was your first performance? Start with open mic nights? I'm thinking about making the leap, and happy to learn about your experience.

What's the slogan? "Just Do It"...once that is out of the way, you can do anything you want. True. Don't think too much.

Now back in the dark, dark ages, I joined a band of total newbie beginner stinkers - we had guitars but no amps, well no amps good enough is more like it - I had a 3 watt Coronet or something, get the picture? So the drummer who joined us had to play on his 'song notes' on his knees until we could organise a 'rehearsal'.....

So this classic 'I thought you knew him? 'No, I thought you did!" guy declared he was to be our manager...Ha Ha Ha oh NO!! And he organised a 'rehearsal' for us at a mate's boat club on a Saturday Afternoon, so...another first...we discovered you could hire music equipment at a hire place! So we all headed there and hired a little PA and some guitar and bass amps recommended by the guy at the shop. Boing...

We went to the address of the boat club to find thousands of people there for the opening of the season or something and we were the band! Oh, what a stinker - first gig with our first amps and a PA and first with a drummer and and and and and no idea how to get anything to really work= awful, awful, awful! But the crowd were drunk obviously and cheered us on a bit, so all being hams, we kept at it to make something go.....

And after that, everything else is easy........

Edit: I forgot - the Hire Place also had used high end guitars! The beginning of the end and end of the beginner! You look so much more accomplished and serious with that expensive guitar over your shoulders! New word and new world of GAS....

But apart from anything, the point here is that I had a little story to tell....but if you sit at home you may not! Get to it.

BluesKing777.

Last edited by BluesKing777; 12-07-2017 at 07:45 PM.