View Single Post
Old 11-27-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
A basic DI like a RedEye or Demeter doesn't do what a proper preamp does. Most of us need full EQ, FX loop, notch filters, flexible in/outs, variable input impedance, and footswitch muting control.

When you buy a Grace Design Alix for $600 it's because you need/want all of those things combined with a studio grade input stage. And yea.. you really do hear it if you have good amplification. If you want those things with dual source without a drop in sound quality you get the Felix for $400 more. The current alternative is the next tier down in fidelity or going to studio gear. Problem there is it's not designed for a performance environment meaning it won't be all that sturdy, light, compact, or flexible. Or you can do what folks did before we had the Alix/Felix and get a Pendulum SP-1.
This!!! Neither the Redeye or the Demeter is in the same league features wise. Although they are good sounding units, they fail to address problems that I run into, with all the different rooms that I play in, and the different systems I plug into directly and slave into. Grace preamps are on the same level as Pendulum sonically as I have used both in studios, but The Pendulum with it's three band FULLY parametric EQ, and it's ridiculously flexible routing options is still probably the the king acoustic guitar preamp available, but it's in a rack and that won't work for what I do, so that's why I went with Grace. And before anybody compares a Grace to anything else, they need to learn all of it's capabilities especially regarding the EQ, the different centerpoints on the low end pot alone make a world of difference! And even with all the options on the Grace unit, once you learn them, it's ridiculously easy to dial in a good sound.