View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstaffcharli View Post
Upgrading from my Yamaha AW4416 onboard pres to an RNP was huge. I had trouble getting enough signal with the onboard pres
One of the problems with threads like this is people looking for something "better", without any clear definition. I think that for most people, if they're expecting instant magic by simply plugging in some new piece of gear, they will end up disappointed. On the other hand, solving specific problems with specific features, like needing a preamp with sufficient gain, is both easy to understand, easy to know if it helped, and extremely practical. Hard to debate the benefits of that. I got my AEA RPQ because I needed a high gain, ultra clean preamp for a very dark low output ribbon mic, with the proper input impedance, and shelving EQ to make up for the ribbon's characteristics. I wasn't looking for magical sound improvements from a "better" preamp, I needed some specific characteristics, just as you did. Much more likely to be a cost-effective and satisfying purchase when you know why you're buying.