View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 04:51 PM

Hey there.
Let me begin by saying what a wonderful time I had in your hometown last spring. Saw "Vince and Friends" at the Ryman including Rodney Crowell and Emilou. Hung out at Roberts on Broadway a lot. Met more nice people in Tennessee...

A few points I would like to make that may help you.

First, the Martin 15, 16 and 17 series are almost always going to have an M/T (mostise and tenon) neck joint, as opposed to a dovetail joint, and you might get a bit more sustain from a dovetail joint. I may be opening a line of discussion that could muddy the waters for you here, but I personally feel that the dovetail joint conveys more vibrational information between neck and body. This is not an uninformed conclusion, but it is subjective--I have no "proof". But I have had three 15's, four 16's and a 17. Fine guitars all!!!! Just be aware of the different build technique. Let the dissension begin!!

Next, 12 fret or 14?
Being an electric player, you are accustomed to having access to the higher notes. Take a good look, or feel, at how restricted you might feel with a 12 fret model. I love 12 fret guitars, I have 4 of them. The deeper, fuller tone they bring is very cool, but I reach for a 14 when I might wanna go high.

All that said, and inspite of what I just said about the neck joint, for your money, I would still send you toward a Martin 00-15, 000-15. Or agree with HHP suggestion of a 12 fret 000-15SM. (i'll let someone else discuss why some have the "M" in the name)
Or maybe that 16 capemjs sent the picture of, also a 12 fret, and I believe is rosewood/spruce. Kinda hard to come by compared to the 15's though.

I'll be very interested in what you decide, so keep us posted.
Thanks for asking, and listening.