View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
I've been thinking about this. I guess it depends a lot on how many you are making at one time and what methods you use. I have had little issue with having only a small number of clamps. But for a few high-pressure clamps - 4 or 5 "C" clamps and maybe a bar clamp or two - mostly I use lighter-duty quick release clamps, most notably wooden cam clamps of which I need perhaps a dozen or so. And, of course, clothes pins with rubber bands wrapped around their ends, rope, large elastic bands, surgical tubing, heavy weights, foam rubber and some masking tape.

If one is using a white or yellow glue, for most braces, 30-45 minutes of clamping time is sufficient - no need to wait "hours". Go bars with a "go deck" are certainly an advantage, but, if one is only making one or two guitars, it's a lot of work and expense. (Unless your tops and backs are flat, don't forget about some gluing forms, be they "dishes" or something else, that are required with the go deck.)
I am a machinist and therfor had several clamps available yet none were quite designed for woodworking. i had no cam clamps at all which i quickly learned was a mistake. I still havent ordered any but i believe by building a go bar deck and accessaries i can avoid having to use them though before its done i may have to get some anyway. Seeing that i am new to woodworking i alway let my glue joints sit for at least an hour before unclamping. sometimes more than that. im always afraid it will separate. im used to just bolting or welding things together and its immediately joined