View Single Post
Old 08-16-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekutree64 View Post
Careful there... that bracing still looks like cardboard box territory at the moment. But at the same time it could really use some soundhole braces. Higher up, more stiff. Lower down, less stiff.

As I said before, carve the ends of the lower X legs, tone bars and fingers down to nothing at the perimeter. Tap and listen as you do it. This is one place where having the soundboard glued to the rim is very useful, to hear the effect of perimeter stiffness. Should be more audible if you take some height off the lower X legs first.
Thanks dekutree,
Actually this is one reason I glued the soundboard to the rim first so i would have a better idea of what any adjustments actually do, not that i have a clue in a first guitar what adjusting anything gains/loses.

What am I actually listening for? I can hear it makes a tone when I tap it, and it makes different tones when I tap it in a different place, but what tone does it need to be? once i've carved more off the bracing, how do i know if i've gone to far? what are tell-tale signs i've done something right/wrong?

The plans I have don't include soundhole bracing, but i had previously thought maybe i needed some as those areas look mighty empty compared to other guitars. Any suggestions as to what type of soundhole braces I need? similar to the finger braces? or taller like the main ones? Perhaps flat wide ones a la the 'brace' in the upper bout?

thanks

Dave