View Single Post
Old 12-20-2020, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
Prose was the wrong choice of words. I thought it meant unrhyming poetry, but I see it really just means words without metrical structure. That's not what I( meant.
OK , can only go on what you said.

Quote:
Prosody (linguistics): In linguistics, prosody is concerned with those elements of speech that are not individual phonetic segments (vowels and consonants) but are properties of syllables and larger units of speech, including linguistic functions such as intonation, tone, stress, and rhythm.
Yes and as I said is complex element #1

Quote:
Prosody (music): In music, prosody is the way the composer sets the text of a vocal composition in the assignment of syllables to notes in the melody to which the text is sung,,,,,, or,,,,,, to set the music with regard to the ambiance of the lyrics..
Well and also "the intonation, tone, stress, and rhythm" in the music and the lyrics . But no it is not "or ",In a song it is and )not "or" .....and as I said= is complex element #2) twice the complexity.....

BTW I know what the basic definition of Prosody is, in poetry and song, and exactly why I used the term. And I'll add that in music/song yes its"ambience" and more,,, when done well it as I said, evokes an emotion in the listener that is a function of the context of both the music and lyrics. The poet does not play in that emotional field....... the poets emotional field is 1/2 that.

Quote:
But my reply still stands. It may be more complicated to write words to music, but if the words aren't nearly as good, I don't think the musical prosody make up for that.
"but if the words aren't nearly as good," is a totally subjective opinion.
I have a different opinion, if the words of poem "aren't nearly as good" no amount of calling it "poetry" makes up for that, either ....

Quote:
Really, that's where we are here? I feel insulted.
Really? You feel insulted because the endeavor songwriting involves two complex elements is twice as complex, as the endeavor poetry that involves only one ? . I guess I have nothing to say to that... Except "Car--ry,,on,,,, lo--ve is coming,,,,,,, ,lo--ve is com-ing to us all"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 12-20-2020 at 09:56 PM.