View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013, 09:14 AM

Cool How long does it take?

Fred, something I forgot to mention in my previous post...when the D & G strings are wound toward the inside, they often make contact with and rub against the wood on the slot in the peghead. This causes problems with the tuning and can cause unnecessary wear to the string that can damage the peghead or weaken the string, especially when there are too many winds on the post. That is because on most tuning posts, the hole is located right in the center of the post.

I might sound like a "classical snob" even though I am not. I use the "Taylor method" and they specifically state winding from the inside out. I do use a "trick" to anchor the treble strings, to prevent slippage, which I discovered long ago, which I have never seen demonstrated in any video, and if anyone is interested I'd be more than happy to share. I do admit to using that kind of information (improper string installations) to my advantage when I am sizing up a seller (when I negotiate the price of a used guitar), as it will occasionally get me a much better deal. Just sayin'...

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”

Last edited by scottishrogue; 10-30-2013 at 09:34 AM.