View Single Post
Old 03-02-2024, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
...but are there any advantages to the wider fretboard of classical guitar...
There are many shapes in classical guitar repertoire that I find almost impossible (if not actually impossible) on thinner necks, as there's simply not enough space for my fingers. On a steel string (or even worse, an electric) my fingers can start running into each other or start muting adjacent strings. So wider necks usually mean cleaner notes for the average player.

On the flip side, wider necks means your fingers have to stretch further between strings, so that's going to clearly take more effort, and slightly more time for a finger to switch from one string to another (which can matter if you're trying to be the next Tim Henson). So thinner necks usually means easier and faster playing. On my steel string, switching between cowboy chords is comparably easier.

Also, steel string necks usually have a radius to them (classicals are flat), which appears to make barre chords much easier for some. Personally the added tension of the steel strings not only negates this, but yields a net increase in difficulty, but I digress. If you play better with a radius, then the flat neck of a classical might be hard.

A cross over is probably the way to go. It'll still be tight for some of the more complex classical shapes, but not as tight as a steel string will be. A very good middle ground.