View Single Post
Old 02-05-2019, 06:44 PM

I use all 5. Self taught, young, emboldened with enthusiasm and desire to play (but little actual knowledge of how) I thought playing with all 5 was the proper way to go. I did not think to question myself or seek any formal guidance whether in print or in person. I just bought a guitar, a book of chords and started in with all 5 moving.

Then I discovered the various patterns and dynamics of finger picking and modified my picking as needed. Sometimes I use three, sometimes all, sometimes a mixed bag, and always needs-dependent.

I will state to the curious that using 5 isn't without compromise. The little finger does not have the same power as the other fingers so be kind to yourselves and don't expect a balanced hand when attempting to bring all 5 to an aggressive piece. That's better accomplished by adapting the hand to us 4.

I will also state that the thumb pick is your friend. It will initially challenge your pride all the while putting a hurt on your thumb. But, with patience and a small measure of fortitude you will gain deft use of it and never again play without it.