View Single Post
Old 08-02-2017, 01:25 PM

While I understand that asking folks on this forum what gear they use to record can reveal a range of options to explore, it has some obvious limitations.
As far as the choices people make when it comes to acquiring gear we all have our biases, idiosyncrasies, and personal dealings which influence what we recommend. And that doesn't even account for style of music and/or technique. What I'm trying to say is this. The OP should experiment as much as possible and accept that after reading everyone's advice he still has to find out what works for himself. By way of example:
When I first decided to set up my own home studio I exhaustively researched microphones and decided on a matched pair of Gefell M300s. There are several people on this forum who use these mikes and get superb results. I struggled for a couple of years but couldn't duplicate those results. In the meantime I acquired a second hand Sennheiser MKH 800 P48.
The recordings with that mic were much better. The mic sounded so good I bought a second Senny 800 P48. The few recordings I've done since acquiring the second Senny have confirmed my decision to get it.
So, am I recommending the OP buy a pair of Sennheiser MKH 800 P48s? Not at all. I have no idea what gear will work for the OP. What I am recommending is that the OP keep an open mind and accept that setting up a home recording studio is a process with a steep learning curve and even a modest approach takes a lot of hands on experimentation.
That said, I hope the OP enjoys the journey to the fullest.