View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

thanks for all the replies so far! Its really been a fun journey. Debating which woods, wondering which body sizes to go with, changing your mind here and there.

I think after 10 years of buying guitars and trying various high end makers, you tend to know more of what you want. Your ears become more specific and are looking for that one thing here or there. You want one characteristic from guitar A and another from guitar B. Then guitar C really sticks out for you and you want that too! Soon the list becomes too long and then you don't know what you want again!

The reality? No one guitar can do it all. Some can come close and others fall a bit short.

When I commissioned my first Kostal, as stated, I wanted that haunting Somogyi base, but the focus of my Ryan. I wanted a deep warm sound like my favorite cedar guitar without loosing the clarity you get from a nice spruce.

But then...... I played a newly built Traugott Model R. Wow, that thing was so different! Not better, but different. I wanted warm, bassy, and clear, and Jason delivered exactly what I asked. I didn't ask for crazy thick trebles that are so sterile but not harsh. But this Traugott was that. So I gave it a few months and then I had to play it again! And wow, did it really open up! Anyone who hasn't played Jeff's newer guitars, you really need to do yourself a favor and play one! So I spoke with Jeff at great lengths and was really on the fence of getting a new model R.

Thick trebles, clear and sterile, extremely balanced, without loosing focus. Thats a new guitar

So like anyone making a big purchase, I made a few calls and played a few more guitars. And then I called Jason..... I hate it when I do that (in a good way)

I was looking for this new guitar which was small body. I just spoke with him again and he said I could share our discussion.

At the 2009 Montreal Show, Robin Weber from Guitar Gallery mentioned the idea for a 00 guitar. Jason and her had a long conversation about it at the time and she commissioned a 00 back then. Since 2009, Jason has been working on the designs and facets of this guitar to produce a full body sound out of a small body guitar. This guitar will be finished for Robin in 2013 and will be released as a new model in Jason's offerings. He really wants Robin to have the first one because she was the one who envisioned it leading up to Montreal.

Now Gustav Fredell also has that small guitar that really intrigued me. It was kind of what I was looking for. I don't think Jason's new design is a response to that guitar, but more a response to Robin back in 2009. Robin was wanting to offer a smaller option to women clients and an 00 seemed like the right answer!

So now do I get an OM, or do I try out something a little smaller? Your thoughts? What would you like to see?

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D