View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
You make an extremely interesting point and cogent argument. A close analogy would be shooting photos with a digital camera set to jpg vs set to raw (which is what I always shoot in when using an actual camera). With jpg the camera does much of the processing while with raw the camera only captures the data and leaves the processing until it gets into the computer. Ergo the next learning step is to become more skilled with my DAW. This may require some lessons.

Audacity has a flexible and powerful EQ tool, you could, for instance replicate the rolloff in your mic just as a starting point, then tweak the settings from there. Here's a look at a manual page for the EQ tool: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/equalization.html

The downside of Audacity is the lack of real-time effects. Each time you make an adjustment you must apply the effect then evaluate the result. With something like REAPER you can hear the track continuously while you make adjustments.

But if you're comfortable with Audacity and have it running well on your computer, there's something to be said for doing more recording and less installing and configuring new software.

In either case you can find lots of tutorial material for either REAPER or Audacity on YouTube and both programs are pretty well documented.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog