View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 11:35 AM

Default Mic bass cut on AKG P420 recording acoustic guitar?

When I bought my mics a little over a year ago I knew zero. Today I know slightly more than zero, but just enough to be able to ask questions. This may my first post in this section of the forum.

After listening to scores of YouTube vids, with a self imposed limited budget I elected to buy a AKG P420 mic https://www.amazon.com/AKG-High-Perf.../dp/B00167UQMI
and subsequently a AKG P70 https://www.amazon.com/AKG-PERCEPTIO...words=akg+p170. I've been trying to make some sample recordings for reference of different guitars and strings, etc but have been less than satisfied with the results. I understand the proximity effect and watched all of Neumann's videos for beginners.

Until today I have ignored the pattern swith and kept it on cardioid pattern and everything else flat (no bass cut or attenuation). And then, experimenting yesterday I just wondered what bass cut did when recording acoustic guitar.

And so I did a series of recordings comparing bass cut and no bass cut. There was simply something that sounded more natural with bass cut "on". I didn't expect to hear an improvement, but did. Can anyone tell me why I like the sound better with the bass cut and if you do the same thing with your mics (that have a bass cut switch)?

And though I haven't had time to experiment too much with the positioning with bass cut on, before I started experimenting with bass cut I thought I had more success with a AKG P170 mic at the 12th fret and the P420 off the lower bout. Why do you suppose that mix helped the sound as opposed to a single P420 positioned anywhere, left, right, up down, neck, bout???
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS