View Single Post
Old 12-25-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
...As far as an amp goes, the only thing I have here at the house is a Roland AC 33. Since I play mostly for my own amusement and amazement, I will probably hold off on getting another one for a while. Oh...too bad my old tube amp from the 60's is no longer around. Might have been fun to try it.
If you have some discretionary cash lying around, you might want to check out one of these:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Bugera/...r-Combo-Amp.gc

My band-practice/coffeehouse-gig amp (I use the big-brother V22 for everything else short of outdoor gigs - got a '65 Super RI and 100W blackface-Twin style Frontman 212R for that - but see my comments below) - more powerful than you think (but scales down to 1W/0.1W for home practice) with more creamy-sweet tube tone than anything this inexpensive has the right to have, and a set of old-school straight-ahead controls (gain/tone/volume/reverb) that'll let you call up your signature sound the way we both did back in the old days, without the need for a masters' degree in computer science. At $199 street you're not going to find anything better for anywhere near the price, I've seen it as low as $149 during holiday/coupon sales at the big-box/online retailers (I paid even less than that with a little in-person haggling), and with a set of high-quality tubes this little puppy can easily run with the boutique mini-boxes at four or more times the price...

BTW if you're a fan of "big-clean" blackface Fender/blue-check Ampeg electric guitar tone and/or need more dynamic range and headroom (PSA: "big power" in a guitar amp doesn't necessarily equate with ear-splitting volume and massive amounts of gain/distortion) one of these can still be had for well under $400 if you shop around (FYI prices are going up $50 in January, and some retailers have already started advertising accordingly):

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Bugera/...r-Combo-Amp.gc

Swap in a set of good tubes, and it will probably be all the amp you'll ever need...