View Single Post
Old 10-13-2018, 11:38 AM
AGF Sponsor

Joel and I are honored and proud to be asked to attend Tom’s BIG show with some of our guitars. Especially considering the other modern legends and luminaries who will also be present. I actually feel like a wharf rat, stowing away on a billionaire’s yacht!

I have lots of experience with guitar shows, so I know how fast they sneak up on you. You gotta dive in head first, many months before the event, and build your guitars, because six or twelve months will glide by at stupefying speed if you don’t.

Have you ever had that dream where you are playing the lead role in a Broadway play, and suddenly it’s opening night, and you haven’t even read the script? Yeah, it can be like that.

So I already got a good start on two very special guitars I plan to bring. These are my “spare time” builds (if there even is such a thing). The first one is pretty much the top of my line: A Zephyr 00 model, with Brazilian Rosewood back and sides, a bearclaw Sitka top, scoop cutaway, multiscale, upper and lower bout sound ports with sliders so you can play them open or closed; also arm and rib bevels, my new Omega style open headstock, and a few other surprises. I intend for it to have the kind of visual appeal that will reach out and grab you by the eyeballs, drag you in close, and then fill your ears with ethereal siren-songs. High hopes, eh?

The other guitar is one I’ve been wanting to make for along time: It’s a Eclipse OM model, with a Florentine cutaway, arm and rib bevels, Omega headstock, and some amazing quilted Maple back and sides, with an Alaskan Yellow Cedar top. It will be decked out in flamed Katalox trim. And get this- I’m going to finish the Maple with a transparent BLUE, with subtle black shading. This was inspired by the famous Blue Guitar collection, a series of super-high-end arch tops, all with blue finish, that’s were commissioned by the late Scott Chinery back in the late 90s.
This Blue Guitar collection is gloriously detailed in Ken Vose’s book, Blue Guitar, published in 1998 by Chronicle Books. I’m sure most of you luthiers are familiar with this, but if you haven’t heard of it, get on Google RIGHT NOW!

Meanwhile, I need to get some work done. I will post photos of the guitars when the time is right. And I’m really looking forward to seeing this show get wings and fly. THANK YOU Tom, for being such a great friend to all of us!

Last edited by theEdwinson; 10-14-2018 at 12:30 PM.