View Single Post
Old 12-30-2007, 09:24 AM

The big advantage with carbon fiber guitars is that they are relatively impervious to weather. They don't need to be humidified and can wthstand both higher and lower temperatures than wood guitars. I still would'nt leave one in a parked car all day when it's hot. The disadvantage from my perspective is that they do not "open up", they will pretty much always sound the same as they do when you buy one. For me they also lack the esthetic or warmth of a wood guitar. I have an Emerald carbon fiber that I use as my travel guitar when it's too hot or cold for wood and it's great for that purpose, but when I can I always choose one of my wood guitars to play. If I could only have one guitar I'd go with solid wood.
I've played both Rainsong's and CA's and prefer the tone of the CA's but thought the Rainsong's were pretty good. Between the two it would be a matter of personal choice as both are very well made. I ended up with an Emerald because it sounded good had an adjustable truss rod and was significantly less expensive than a Rainsong or CA. Unfortunately Emerald closed their factory, so they are no longer available.
Regards,
Ed