View Single Post
Old 12-16-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudyafternoon View Post
Interestingly enough, I went back and tried out my guitar with a ProDI and an SB-1 again. I still tend to prefer the sound of a passive transformer, but I like a mellow sound.

Interestingly enough, though, an active DI does cure one (possible) problem - input gain settings.

With the ProDI, my gain on a mixing console is typically at 1-2 o'clock, and my gain if recording using a Focusrite Scarlett is at 3 o'clock.

With the SB-1, my gain on the Scarlett is reduced to 11-12 o'clock. I haven't tried it on a mixing console, maybe I will today or tomorrow.

My question for AGF members who also run sound is, is there a clear benefit from a pro audio standpoint to getting your gain earlier in the chain (SB-1 or other active DI), versus getting your gain at the mixer pre?

The simple answer is yes. Gain staging is a vital part of any studio or live setup. Setting the gain at the optimal level at every step helps to keep the signal clean and prevent clipping. If an instrument or device is set too low at any stage then by increasing the gain at the next stage there is also the likelihood of increasing the background or any other noise present at every step of the way.

If the gain before mixer is at a good level then the gain at the mixer can be lowered a bit with the added benefit of lowering the noise floor!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden