View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 08:55 AM

Good advice from everyone so far. Especially 'keep it simple'. Remember that many people that show up at an open mic are inexperienced performers are they'll be expecting you to help and encourage them.

Make sure you have a regular 1/4"-1/4" guitar cable (and a spare) to plug people in (they won't bring their own), and a spare mic cable, just in case one of yours fails.

A stool for the performer to sit - and a chair, too, because sometimes shorter people are not comfortable with their feet off the floor!

A music stand - and a small light that clamps onto it, unless the overhead lights are good in this store. Many OM performers need one.

When I was running my first OM, I quickly realized that one thing I needed was a DI combo pedal that let me mute the guitar signal quickly, rather than having to run over to the PA board and mute the channel (which didn't mute the monitor, you wont' have one, so not a concern). That's why I got my Radial PZ-Pre - it'll accommodate an active or passive pickup - actually 1 or 2 guitars at one time, and provides a quick way to mute before players unplug themselves.

Seating 70-80? Unless this is a great 'listening venue' that others know about, expect a rather small turnout as you start. Give the performers 15 minutes or 3 or 4 songs, even if you only have a few players show up, then rotate, and restart the rotation to fill the time. Greet everyone who comes in, get them signed up (I prefer going in sign-in order, rather than set times).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Please tell me you guys are joking about this group ASCAP. Most all of us sing some covers. You mean this is an issue? How is it that 100+ venues in Nashville do the 16 hours per day?
Those Nashville venues all pay for their PRO license (BMI/ASCAP/SESAC).

If this OM continues as a regular thing and you do any 'advertising' (facebook, social media, etc), the PRO guys will find you eventually.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele