View Single Post
Old 12-05-2019, 02:32 PM

A long delayed update to this thread

I recently upgraded my phone and in the file transfer process lost nearly 7000 photos, a bunch of those were from this build and the almost the only ones I have left are from this thread so i'm not sure exactly what processes I did since I last posted.

What I can say is that that the guitar has progressed very nicely and is currently on its way to the finisher.

I do have some pictures of the bridge sitting on the guitar, the tuners sitting in place and one picture of the fretwork as those were pictures I took this week.

Funnily enough I think all the frets in the picture below were actually replaced afterwards as I wasn't happy with the even-ness of the ends when you looked down the neck. I also need to find a quicker way of doing this process, it took nearly a week to get all the frets done to a decent standard, and I may yet be tweaking the ends of 1 or 2 when it gets back from finishing if I'm not 100% with how they look when I see them again.

The bridge still needs to be sanded to a nice fine finish and then oiled. I will do this at some point before the guitar comes back.

When it comes back from finishing in the new year i'm really looking forward to stringing this up and finding out just what exactly i've built here as i've used quite a lot of new techniques and construction methods in this build.

Also, as a teaser for those interested, this week I bought some very tasty wood for my next build (another OM) that I hope to start in January once the wood arrives. Obviously there will be new build thread for that one coming once that gets underway.

Here are the latest pictures

My bridge design as viewed from the back side
Untitled by David Emm, on Flickr

The bridge design as viewed from the front side

The headstock with some very tasty gold Schertler tuners

The back of the headstock with the gold tuners.

I went for the hemispherical fret ends again.