View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su_H. View Post
This will be my fifth attempt at Asturias and this attempt is the closest I've come to being able to do the triplets.
Hi Su, I also echo the other posters' comments on pain. It shouldn't be happening, so definitely pause and re-evaluate your approach.

If I may ask: What is it specifically about the triplets that is holding you back?
To be sure, it is a difficult piece, but an helpful aspect about it, especially where the triplets are concerned, is that it almost forces you at the very start to decide on a left and right hand fingering pattern that you don't ever deviate from.
The most popular right hand pattern for the triplets is a repeating “p i m”, with the thumb playing the melody and i m the accompaniment.
From there, it's just a matter of playing it cleanly. Slow at first, and then building up speed as your right hand control improves.
The wrong thing to focus on is speed. The piece is played badly much more than it is played well, and the problem is that, once you get the passages memorized, it's tempting to go full throttle.
What suffers is fluidity and tone.
Once memorized, if you practice the triplets section slowly, by focusing on good tone and rhythmic finger movements (which will be helped by Rick's tip!), the piece will really start to sound nice, even if it's on the slow side.
A metronome can then help you to notch it up gradually.
Dynamic flow is essential too. The piece ebb and flows between soft and very loud passages. Practicing slowly, and cleanly, will help there too.
Ironically, the "flashy" parts of Asturias, imo, once you have memorized the fingering, are relatively easy compared to keeping the entire piece "together" as a whole, i.e. integrating the fast and the slow elements in a musically coherent fashion. It's a very long piece, and it all has to click.
It's a challenge for sure. I admire your courage!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann